This vegetarian black bean soup is an easy, quick, healthy, low-fat vegetarian soup recipe that will warm up your family in less than 15 minutes flat. It's a versatile recipe that you can also make vegan and gluten-free. It's also easy enough that you can involve your kids in helping make it, giving them valuable experience in preparing meals.
You will start with canned black beans to eliminate the time for soaking and cooking beans. You can use commercially prepared salsa or your own homemade salsa.
You can make this black bean soup vegan by simply omitting the cheese and sour cream or substituting vegan cheese or vegan sour cream. If you need this recipe to be gluten-free as well, just use water instead of the vegetable broth. This recipe comes to you courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, undrained
- 1 16 ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- shredded cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- Mash one can of black beans with potato masher. Or, pulse the beans in a food processor with a little bit of extra water if needed until they are mostly smooth.
- Pour both cans of beans into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add vegetable broth, salsa, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- It's ready to serve once it has come to a boil.
- If desired, serve the black bean soup topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, onion, and cilantro. Of course, you can use vegan cheese and vegan sour cream substitutes.
This recipe makes four low-fat servings of vegetarian black bean soup. If that's more than you and your family will have at once, this is a great soup to enjoy the next day. You can also freeze the extra soup to reheat for lunches or dinners later. You can microwave it to reheat, or gently reheat on the stovetop in a saucepan.
Nutritional Information (excluding optional ingredients):
calories from fat: 24
Total fat: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 0m g
Total carbohydrates: 32.9 g
Dietary fiber 11 g
Protein: 14.5 g
Vitamin A 13%
Vitamin C 3%
Do you like bean soup or cooking vegetarian and vegan meals? Here are a few more ideas.
- More easy vegetarian bean soup recipes: Beans provide protein and flavor in these hearty soups.
- Black bean and zucchini tortilla soup recipe: What can you do with zucchini? Here's an idea if your garden is giving you a bounty.
- Gluten-free vegan dinners: If you've had to ditch gluten, here are more recipes to help you decide what to have for dinner.