There aren't enough superlatives in the dictionary to describe how we feel about our grandchildren. Sometimes, however, a writer or comedian or commentator manages to capture the grandparent-grandchild relationship in a way that makes us smile or brings mist to our eyes. Which one of these quotations best reflects your relationship with your grandchildren?
The Pleasure of Grandchildren
Undoubtedly, one of the pleasures of being a grandparent is seeing the world through the eyes of our grandchildren.
We look at the world in a fresh way. And the things that our grandchildren say? They can be both funny and profound. Here's what some well-known people have to say about the pleasures of grandchildren.
- Gene Perret, comedy writer
"What a bargain grandchildren are! I give them my loose change, and they give me a million dollars worth of pleasure."
- Adair Lara, author of The Granny Diaries
"Grandkids bring you into a sweeter, slower present. They show you the future at a time when a lot of your friends are thinking about the past. And they take you back to childhood--theirs, the parent's, your own: a three-time admittance to wonderland."
- Gore Vidal, author and dramatist
"Never have children, only grandchildren."
- Mel Lazarus, cartoonist
"The secret of life is to skip having children and go directly to grandchildren."
- Lois Wyse, author
"If I had known how wonderful it would be to have grandchildren, I'd have had them first."
The Special Relationship Between Grandparents and Grandchildren
One of the most commonly used quotations about grandchildren, attributed to various people, is the one that says that grandchildren and grandparents get along so well because they have a common enemy -- the parents. This quotation may make us smile, but the truth is that we need to nurture our relationship with our adult children, too.
Still, the grandparent-grandchild connection is like no other.
- Doug Larson, newspaper columnist
"The idea that no one is perfect is a view most commonly held by people with no grandchildren."
- Jane Smiley, novelist
"Your sons weren't made to like you. That's what grandchildren are for."
- Lynn Redgrave, actor
"I don't put off any time with my grandchildren. I don't put off a thing."
- Kevin Whately, actor
"With your own children, you love them immediately -- and with grandchildren, it's exactly the same."
- Mitt Romney, politician and businessman
"I never once regretted missing a business opportunity so that I could be with my children and grandchildren."
Connections to the Past and to the Future
One of the wonderful things about grandchildren is that they simultaneously connect us to our past and to a future that we have trouble envisioning. But we know that if our grandchildren are in charge, everything will turn out fine.
- Anne Lamott, author
"A grandchild is like a fine jewel set in an old ring."
- Lois Wyse, author
"Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation."
- Art Linkletter, television personality
"Posterity is the patriotic name for grandchildren."
- Lord Mountbatten, British statesman
"My mother said, don't worry about what people think now. Think about whether your children and grandchildren will think you have done well."
- Ben Vereen, actor and performer
"I go to my grandchildren. They keep their grandpa informed on what's going on."
- Sparky Anderson, baseball manager
"The great thing about baseball is when you're done, you'll only tell your grandchildren the good things. If they ask me about 1989, I'll tell them I had amnesia."
The Funny Side of Grandparenting
Grandchildren exponentially increase our ability to laugh, and that's a good thing. Even grandparents need to have fun.
- Andy Rooney, writer and commentator
"Elephants and grandchildren never forget."
- Bryna Nelson Paston, author of How to Be the Perfect Grandma
"The only people interested in hearing about your grandchildren are other grandparents who want to tell you about theirs."
- Michael Caine, actor
"My wife, my daughters, even my grandchildren are funny. You've got to keep a sense of humor because anger destroys you."
Quotations by Gene Perret
Without a doubt, my favorite quotations about grandchildren come from Gene Perret, but he's not exactly a household name. A little research reveals, however, that the chances are that he's given you a lot of laughs over the years. He started out writing for Phyllis Diller and Bob Hope and was nominated for an Emmy seven times before turning his talents to writing books and helping young writers and comedians. Here's the best of Gene Perret on grandchildren.
- "Do you know why grandchildren are always so full of energy? They suck it out of their grandparents."
- "My grandchild has taught me what true love means. It means watching Scooby-Doo cartoons while the basketball game is on another channel."
- "Grandchildren don't stay young forever, which is a good thing because Pop-Pops only have so many horsey rides in them."
- "Two things I dislike about my granddaughter -- when she won't take her afternoon nap, and when she won't let me take mine."
- "On the seventh day, God rested. His grandchildren must have been out of town."
- "I don't intentionally spoil my grandchildren. It's just that correcting them often takes more energy than I have left."
- "Grandchildren: the only people who can get more out of you than the IRS."
Find more quotations related to grandparenting.