If you google “Mommy Guilt” there over a million results. That goes to show we are all looking for the answer to how to stop feeling it. Let’s visit the definition of guilt to start:
Guilt: a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc,. whether real or imagined.
How I’ve been able to overcome mommy guilt is to turn it into a choice. I can either choose to feel it or not feel it.
Once I tell myself I choose not to, and then give myself a worthwhile reason (for example, my priority is to provide for my family so I’m choosing to work), I can move on quicker.
If this advice doesn’t help here are 20 quotes to help you stop feeling mommy guilt. I hope that it helps make today a great one and stops you from reading any of the other million search results on mommy guilt.
- “There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed. But in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child you are a super mom.” ~Stephanie Precourt, Listen to your Mother
- “I think while all mothers deal with feelings of guilt, working mothers are plagued by guilt on steroids!” ~Arianna Huffington
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” ~Oprah Winfrey
- “Be fully present at work and at home. Feeling guilty is wasted energy and it will wear you down quickly.” ~Dawn Sandomeno, Party Bluprints
- “I think every working mom probably feels the same thing which is you go through big chunks of time where you’re just going ‘This is impossible – Oh, this is impossible.’ And then you just keep going and keep going and you sort of do the impossible.” ~Tina Fey
- “Working Mothers’ laugher comes hardest when our double life is revealed for what it is: a juggling act in which the balls can drop at any time, invariably on our own head.” ~Allison Pearson, author “I don’t know how she does it all”
- “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes of your goal.” ~Henry Ford
- “When it rains look for rainbows. When it’s dark look for toys on the stairs.” ~Scarry Mommy
- “Trying to be Super Mom is as futile as trying to be Perfect Mom. Not going to happen.” ~Arianna Huffington
- “When in doubt, choose the kids. There will plenty of time later to choose work.” ~Anna Quindlen, author
- “The human capacity for guilt is such that people can always find ways to blame themselves.” ~Stephen Hawking
- Let the guilt teach you how to be brave next time.” ~Veronica Roth, author
"Guilt is the price we pay willingly for doing what we are going to do anyway.” ~Isabelle Holland, author
"You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage – pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically – to say ‘no’ to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger ‘yes’ burning inside.” ~Stephen Covey
"Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place.” ~anonymous
- “Do what you can, with what you have where you are.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~Maya Angelou
- “Patience is a form of wisdom. It demonstrates that we understand and accept the fact that sometimes things must unfold in their own time…” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned in.” ~Doe Zantamata, author
- “The three C’s in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the choice, to take a chance or your life will never change.” ~Anonymous