If you're on instagram, you've probably seen the buzz-worthy rainbow grilled cheese oozing its Lisa Frank trendy goodness all over your feed. The original, from Kala Toast in Hong Kong, infuses the cheese with different types of herbs and vegetables but because most of us have no knowledge of cheese making, we'll be taking another route to end up with an insane colorful grilled cheese fit for a unicorn or a lost boys buffet.
Check out this grilled cheese's amazing rainbow stretch!
- 2 slices of bread
- 1/3 cup of any white cheese (shredded)
- one package of neon food coloring (I used green, blue and red for this one)
- 2 pats salted butter
- 4 small bowls
- Begin by dividing the shredded white cheese evenly between four bowls. Add a little squirt of food coloring to one bowl and stir it with a fork until coated and colorful.
- Repeat this step, using different colors, for each of the other bowls until you have your desired colors. Feel free to go a little crazy here and combine colors that are analogous to each other.
- Add the colored cheese to the piece of bread, in the form of individual lines, so that the colors aren't overlapping. This will create the desired rainbow effect.
- Once the lines of colored cheese take up the entire surface of the bread, add the other piece of bread on top, close the sandwich, and butter the outside.
- In a medium sized pan, add the buttered grilled cheese and cook for a few minutes until the bread turns a golden brown and all the cheese has begun to melt. Flip the sandwich and repeat until both sides are golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat, cut AGAINST your original cheese lines and serve!