01 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions
Learn how to fold a nifty rectangular origami box! Follow these simple step by step instructions in photo tutorial format!
This model is adapted from the traditional origami Masu box, you can find the tutorial for that here - it's easier!
The nice thing about this origami box is that it's shallow, you could store postcards, envelopes, pencils or use as a gift box for jewellery, and more!
In order to make a lid, you can use paper that is slightly bigger.
You will need one sheet of square... paper of any thickness. You will not be able to see the white side of the paper once it's completed.
To hold heavier objects you could use thicker paper or thin card. It is recommended to start with paper that is at least 15 x 15 cm.
For a more fancy origami gift box, check out this frame lid and box here.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 1
Tip: Make all your folds as clean as crisp as you can, this way - your origami box will turn out much better.
1. Start with your paper white side up.
2. Fold the paper in half diagonally both ways.
3 and 4. Fold all of the four corners to the central point.Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 2
5. All four corners all folded.
6. Unfold the paper completely.
7. Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top crease where it intersects with the central crease.
8. Unfold and then do the same thing with the top corner.Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 3
9 & 10. Fold the bottom corner up to meet the crease that is the second down from the top.
11. Fold the top corner down and align it with the crease as shown.
12. Fold the left and right corners in aligning them with the two big flaps.Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 4
13 & 14. Fold the right edge to the left, alleging with the top and bottom horizontal creases.
15. Fold the left edge in.
16. Unfold the left and right edges again.Continue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 5
17. Fold the top and bottom creases up to create the box.
18 & 19. Make a valley crease where shown.
20. Do the same on the other three corners.Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Rectangular Origami Box Instructions - Step 6
Assemble the box by folding the flaps over and locking them into place.
You can use a little bit of glue to make it sturdier! If you want to make a lid, simply use a slightly larger piece of paper (or smaller if you already used your paper). You can tri a few millimetres off of the top and left side. Alternatively, you can under-fold all of the folds at the start, which will result in a 'looser' box.
If you need some help with this origami box, check out this quick video tutorial.