When you consider that beets have the highest natural sugar content of all vegetables - and yet remain miraculously low in calories - it makes sense to use them in smoothies and raw juices. In fact, these dark lovelies are a superb source of folate, and contain high levels of manganese and potassium. Pears are high in fiber, vitamin C and copper, and their innocent sweetness beautifully balances out the earthiness of the beet. This recipe doesn't require an expensive slow-juicer; an ordinary blender or food processor will do just fine. Our red smoothie is also ideal if you are trying to cut out refined sugars or on a lactose-free or gluten-free eating plan.
This beet & pear smoothie recipe is originally from Food for the Soul cookbook and has been translated into English from the original Dutch and reprinted with the kind permission of the publisher.
- 2 fresh raw beets
- 4 pears
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 lemons (juice only)
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) cold water
- Crushed ice or small ice cubes (optional)
- Wash and peel the beets and pears
- Finely dice the beets and cut the pears into small pieces.
- Add the diced beets and chopped pears to a blender and pulse to mix. Add the honey, the lemon juice, water and a little bit of ice (if using). Mix until smooth and frothy.
- Serve immediately.
Tip: To make a vegan version of this recipe, simply use agave syrup to sweeten. You can, of course, also use brown sugar to add mellow sweetness.
Did You Know?
- Juice vs. Smoothie: which is better for you?
- On a diet? Then pay special attention to these do's and don't for weightloss smoothies. According to our Juicing Expert Robert Hannum, compounds in certain fresh foods have been proven to help you lose weight. Here are the most powerful juicing and smoothie recipes for weight loss, based on the latest scientific research.
- Prefer to play around with your family's favorite flavors? Then follow this fool-proof formula for making the best smoothies for your loved ones.
- What you should know about juices and smoothies for cleansing, detox and post work-out nutrition.
- Better health does not have to be expensive, as these top 10 tips for juicing on a budget shows.
- Looking to "connect your body to the energy of the universe"? Whole Foods Cooking Expert Jen Hoy developed a range of juices for the colors of the 7 chakras, offering ''a rainbow spectrum of phytonutrients''.