In this slaw recipe, red cabbage is mixed with a sweet and tangy dressing, raisins, and pecans. Serve this flavorful cabbage salad at your next cookout, or add it to your holiday dinner menu.
I used golden raisins in the pictured salad, but regular raisins may be used as well, and instead of pecans, make it with walnuts or sunflower seeds. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more add-in and substitution ideas and how to toast the pecans.
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head red cabbage, finely chopped or thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Combine 3/4 cup mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, raisins, and pecans. Toss to blend; stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Add more mayonnaise, as needed.
Tips and Variations
- Taste and add more or less sugar, to suit your tastes.
- Use a sugar substitute in the salad.
- Replace the golden raisins with regular raisins.
- Add about 1/4 cup of crumbled cooked bacon.
- To toast the pecans, spread them out in a large dry skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the pecans are aromatic and lightly browned.
- Replace the pecans with sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts.
You Might Also Like