A great side for just about any Mexican main dish. You can also use them in a burrito or on top of your nachos.
For Step-by-Step instructions are also available. How to make Refried Beans with a picture of each step.
- 2 cups uncooked pinto beans
- 2 sprigs epazote (if available)
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings or lard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and halved (optional)
- salt to taste
- Rinse beans and check for debris. Place beans in a large pot and fill with water (approximately 7 cups.) Add epazote. Bring beans to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer for 2 hours. If water level gets low, replace with more boiling hot water.
- When beans are extremely soft, prepare a large skillet by heating drippings or lard over medium heat. Cook the serrano chiles until browned. Using a slotted spoon, add in about 1/2 cup of beans and mash with back of spoon or mashing utensil. If the mixture seems thick, add about a tablespoon of the cooking liquid from the beans.
- Continue to add beans and mash them together, adding liquid as necessary. Remove chiles and discard. Add garlic powder and salt to taste.