Trying to figure out what to make for a festive breakfast or Christmas morning brunch? These reindeer pancakes are the perfect option! Super fun and adorable, they are manageable for any home chef and don't require any special tools. We are certain that both the children and adults in your household will fall in love with these cute little reindeer faces on their breakfast plates!
Below we include a homemade pancake recipe, but you can also easily use a ready made pancake mix. Just follow the instructions on the box.
To make it your own, feel free to substitute the maraschino cherry for a strawberry or raspberry if you wish. Whatever red berry you have on hand to get Rudolph's nose alight. You can also substitute the marshmallows for two dollops of whipped cream, and the chocolate chips can also be replaced with small blueberries if you want something a little more fruitful. Once you have your version of these pancakes made, serve with maple syrup and butter, or just enjoy them as is!
- Heat up a cast iron griddle or pan on medium heat before you begin. Get it nice and hot and then be prepared to turn it down to low before cooking the pancakes.
- While the pan is heating, beat together the egg, milk and melted butter. If you are adding vanilla, add it in at this time too. Make sure the butter is not hot when combining it with the egg.
- Next, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir to form a lumpy batter. Let it sit for about five minutes. It will puff up; if it is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Add some butter or oil to the griddle before cooking. Then turn down the heat on the griddle to medium-low.
- Using a liquid measuring cup or spoon, pour about half a cup of batter onto the hot griddle to make the reindeer face. Make it sort of a large oval shape. Pour about 1/8 cup of batter on the griddle to create each of the ears. Cook the pancakes for a few minutes per side and then flip. Finish cooking and remove from the griddle.
- Place the pancakes in a 200 F oven to keep warm while you finish making the rest of the pancakes.
- Arrange the face and ears of the reindeer on a plate. Put two slices of bacon at the top of the head and in between the ears.
- Cut the marshmallows in half to create the eyes. Place the eyes on the large oval and place a chocolate chip on each marshmallow half to create the pupils. Place a maraschino cherry at the bottom of each face to create the nose.
- Serve with maple syrup or powdered sugar and butter if desired.