Renter's Insurance FAQ

Couple standing looking out kitchen window
Thomas Barwick/Iconica/Getty Images

Have you been wondering about whether you'll be protected if your personal property gets damaged, or if someone injures herself in your apartment?

Read answers to commonly asked questions about renter's insurance and why you should strongly consider purchasing it. Do you have a question that isn't addressed here? Please ask.

Q: Why do I need renter's insurance?
A: You need renter's insurance to cover you if any of your furniture, electronics, books, or other belongings get damaged...

Read more

Q: Do I need renter's insurance even if my landlord has insurance?
A: Yes. Although your landlord almost certainly has property and liability insurance, your landlord's policy doesn't cover... Read more

Q: How much does renter's insurance cost?
A: Renter's insurance probably costs less than you think... Read more

Q: Is a good renter's insurance policy hard to find?
A: Not at all. Several top-name insurers, such as Allstate, Geico, and State Farm, offer renter's insurance... Read more

Q: What if I don't have much personal property?
A: Renter's insurance is still important even if you don't have much personal property because of the liability component... Read more

Q: Do I need renter’s insurance if I rent a condo, coop, or house?
A: Yes. Renter's insurance is important as long as you rent your home... Read more

Q: Will I get enough money to replace my stuff if it gets damaged or destroyed?
A: That depends on whether you opt for an actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost coverage policy...

Read more

Q: Will I get paid to cover expenses for temporary relocation?
A: Renter's insurance normally covers your living expenses if you must temporarily relocate because of... Read more

Q: How can I save money on renter's insurance?
A: Here are some ways you can save money on renter's insurance... Read more

Q: Can I get a renter's insurance policy quote online?
A: Yes.

Thanks to the Internet, it's easy to get one or even several renter's insurance policy quotes without any obligation. After receiving a quote, you can choose to proceed with purchasing a policy, or you can... Read more

Q: Can renter's insurance cover personal property damage that's caused by flooding?
A: Yes. Like homeowners, renters may choose to purchase coverage to compensate them for loss due to flooding, which would include personal property. As with other forms of loss, keep in mind... Read more

Q: What happens to my renter's insurance policy if I move?
A: If you purchase a renter's insurance policy and then move to a different apartment, your... Read more