This rhubarb Betty dessert is a rhubarb version of the classic apple brown Betty.
This rhubarb Betty is made with bread crumbs, butter, and fresh rhubarb. This is a great way to use fresh spring rhubarb.
The recipe makes use of day-old fresh bread crumbs, another bonus. Whenever you have day-old bread, process it in your food processor to make crumbs and freeze them for other uses.
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb, about 3 pounds of rhubarb stalks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind or orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups soft white bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, sugar, tapioca, lemon rind, and salt; set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter in another bowl and drizzle with vanilla; toss well.
- Fill a lightly buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole with alternating layers of rhubarb mixture and bread crumb mixture, with rhubarb layer on bottom and finishing with a bread crumb layer.
- Cover and bake at 400 F for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until top is browned.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
You Might Also Like