This rhubarb crisp is filled with sweetened diced rhubarb and topped with a lightly spiced brown sugar and oat crumble mixture.
Half of the crumb mixture makes up the crust, while the other half is sprinkled over the top to make the crunchy topping.
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oats ( quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 cup brown sugar (light, firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted, or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Filling:
- 4 cups rhubarb (diced)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: lightly sweetened whipped cream (for topping)
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Butter a 9-inch square or round baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon; mix with a fork or your fingers until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the crumb crust with the diced rhubarb.
- In a small saucepan combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla. Place the pan over medium heat and cook until thickened and clear, stirring constantly.
- Pour the thickened syrup mixture over the rhubarb in the baking dish and then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the fruit.
- Bake the rhubarb crisp in the preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Scoop portions out of the baking dish and serve warm with a drizzling of sweet cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of ice cream.
If desired, add about 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the second half of the crumbs for the topping.
You Might Also Like