There are so, so many recipes rhubarb recipes but a Rhubarb Relish is one of my favourites. It is so quick and easy to make, and, is such a great accompaniment to many different foods: cheeses, meats, oily fish such as mackerel as a sauce and is delicious with duck.
Use maincrop, outdoor rhubarb for a hefty, robust relish and new season Forced Rhubarb for a lighter, more delicate sauce.
A Relish is similar but not the same as a chutney. Both use sugar and vinegar as a preservative but the relish has less of both, and though it will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator, it wont keep much longer.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 250 grams rhubarb (washed, trimmed and chopped into small pieces)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Place the oil into a roomy saucepan, add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add the vinegar and stir. Add the water and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Finally add the rhubarb, place a lid on the pan and cook gently for about 30 minutes or until the rhubarb is softened. Stir well.
- Season to taste.
- Cool before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks