If you're looking for a special roast beef recipe, this is an excellent choice.
Roast this beef rib eye to rare or medium-rare for the very best results. I used a heavy cast iron skillet for the roast, but a heavy baking pan can be used as well. The crusty cracked black pepper and garlic coating flavors the beef deliciously and the roast stays tender and juicy.
- 1 boneless beef rib eye roast, about 5 pounds
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- Put a seasoned cast iron skillet in the oven. Preheat the oven to 500 F.
- Combine the black pepper, salt, and garlic; rub all over the roast.
- Carefully, with potholders or oven mitts, remove the skillet to a metal rack. Put the roast in the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the oven and roast at 500 F for 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 F and continue roasting for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the roast reaches 130 F to 140 F for rare to medium rare on a thermometer or oven probe inserted into the center of the meat. Meat and Poultry Temperature Chart
- Remove from the oven, tent loosely with foil, and let the roast rest for 20 minutes. Carve and serve. Serves 6 to 8.