One taste of this easy chicken casserole will tell you why it's so popular. And it doesn't hurt that it's made with only 6 ingredients. The crunchy, buttery Ritz cracker top and bottom crust offer surprising flavor and texture, and the rich and creamy sauce is unbelievably easy.
The casserole takes no more than 10 minutes to put together, and it bakes to perfection in about 30 to 40 minutes. It isn't a colorful casserole, but other ingredients may be added to the chicken mixture. Or serve it along with a green vegetable or sliced fresh tomatoes.
I used two 9-ounce bags of Perdue fully cooked roasted chicken breast strips. The shortcut made the recipe prep even easier. Or use thawed frozen chicken breast strips in the dish.
The creamy chicken is fabulous with hot cooked noodles or rice, too.
Your family will ask for this dish again and again!
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed
- cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom
- 1 container (8 ounces)
- sour cream, or about 1 cup, regular or reduced fat
- 1/2 cup
- chicken broth, low or no sodium
- 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and diced*
- 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter,
- Crumble one sleeve of Ritz crackers in the bottom of a 2 to 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Drizzle half of the melted butter over the crackers.
- Mix chicken with soup, sour cream, and broth. Spoon the mixture over the Ritz cracker layer.
- Crush the remaining sleeve of crackers and toss them in a bowl with the remaining melted butter. Sprinkle the buttery crumbs over the chicken mixture.
- Bake at 325° for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
*About 4 cups or more of cooked diced chicken breasts.
- Replace the cooked chicken breasts with about 1 pound of refrigerated or frozen (thawed) fully cooked roasted chicken strips, diced.
- Add a 2-ounce jar of diced pimientos (drained).
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of lightly steamed frozen peas or mixed vegetables to the chicken mixture.
- Stir in fresh lightly steamed asparagus to the chicken mixture.
- Add a few tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley.
- Saute 6 to 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender and fold them into the chicken mixture.
- Substitute diced cooked turkey for the chicken.
- Replace some of the chicken with diced ham, or add some diced cooked bacon to the chicken mixture.
See Also: 30 Easy Chicken and Pasta Recipes