This is a simple yet tasty salad you can enjoy with an everyday meal, or add it to your holiday dinner menu. This is a great way to enjoy fresh beets of any type -- feel free to use red beets, golden beets, or the red and white Chioggia variety.
You might want to roast the beets a day in advance -- see below for instructions for roasting the beets in the slow cooker, tips and recipe variations as well as a few more flavor ideas.
- Cut stems and greens from the beetroots, leaving about 1/2-inch of the tops and the thicker part of the root end -- about an inch -- intact.
- Chop the beet greens and stems and put in a colander; rinse thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Trim what's left of stem ends off beets and discard; trim root ends. Scrub beets well. Drizzle beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and rub over the beets. Wrap each beet in foil, leaving just a little opening at the top of each package for steam to escape.
- Place wrapped beets on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour until beets are very tender.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, rub the skin off and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Steam greens over simmering water or in the microwave until just wilted; arrange on a serving dish. Top greens and stems with the diced beets, then sprinkle with chopped red onion and bacon.
- In a small cup or bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sugar, and salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Tips and Variations
- How to roast beets in the slow cooker: Wash and trim the beets as above. Place a beetroot on a sheet of foil and rub all over with about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap tightly in the foil and place in the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining beets. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours, or until the beets are fork-tender. Unwrap and slip the skins off of the beets. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and continue with the recipe.
- Cooking with pancetta: Replace the bacon with 2 to 3 ounces of diced cooked pancetta.
- Add cheese: Top the salad with some crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese.