These bone-in chicken breasts are roasted to perfection with fresh chopped garlic and basil, and some potatoes and leeks. Feel free to omit the leeks or replace them with small peeled cippolini onions or sliced sweet or yellow onions.
This is a tasty chicken dish to make for any family meal or Sunday dinner, and it's special enough for guests. See the tips and variations for a quick and tasty creamy gravy!
Add carrots or golden beets along with the potatoes for extra color and flavor.
- 4 split chicken breasts, with skin
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 3 to 4 leeks
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch or 2-inch chunks
- Sprinkle of Kosher salt
- Sprinkle of pepper, freshly ground
- Heat oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Line a large baking pan or roasting pan with foil, if desired. Spray foil or pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the split chicken breasts in the prepared baking pan. Combine the oil, garlic, and basil. Brush a little of the oil mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Trim the leeks. Cut off and discard the dark green part and root end, leaving only the white and pale green section. Wash the leeks thoroughly and then cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Combine the remaining oil and garlic mixture with the leeks and potatoes in a food storage bag or bowl and toss to coat the vegetables thoroughly.
- Arrange the vegetables on and around the chicken and then sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken breasts, leeks, and potatoes in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender.
- When chicken is cooked, juices will run clear when pricked with a fork. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. To ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked, use an instant-read food thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest chicken breast (not touching bone).
Tips and Variations
- Quick and Easy Chicken Gravy - In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and cook, stirring, until the gravy has thickened. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- If desired, omit the leeks or replace them with 1 large onion, halved and sliced. Or use small cippolini or boiling onions in the dish.
- Other Root Vegetables - Add gold beets, parsnips, or carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks.