This roasted whole chicken is flavored with a curry-spiced rub and glazed with a simple blend of mustard and preserves.
The rub mixture of curry powder, lemon, ginger, and cumin gives the skin loads of flavor. The simple glaze is the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For The Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons peach jam, apricot preserves, or similar
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard or brown mustard
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and place a rack in the pan.
- Pat the chicken with paper towels to dry thoroughly. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the rack in the prepared roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, lemon juice, ginger, cumin, and vegetable oil. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and under the skin.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes per pound, or to at least 165 F on a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh but not touching bone.*
- About 10 to 15 minutes before the chicken is done, combine the preserves and mustard and brush generously over the chicken. Continue roasting until the chicken is done.
*According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. Test with a reliable instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh or breast, not touching bone.
- Serve the chicken with a rice dish, roasted potatoes, or mashed potatoes. For a side vegetable, choose broccoli, green beans, or serve the chicken with a basic tossed green salad.
- For wine, serve with Riesling, Chenin Blanc, or a dry white wine.
Serves 4 to 6.