Oven roasting canned chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) enhances their texture and infuses them with flavor. In this simple recipe, olive oil-glossed chickpeas roast alongside lots of garlic and a sprinkling of paprika. They make an ideal addition to mezze platters, pasta, and salads.
Tip: Try using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika to add another dimension of flavor to this simple recipe.
- 1 15 ounces can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place the chickpeas in a baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Break up the garlic cloves over the chickpeas and sprinkle evenly with the paprika.
- Drizzle the chickpeas and spices with the olive oil.
- Cover the dish with foil, and place in the preheated oven, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, stir, then continue baking uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and the chickpeas begin to crisp on the outside, but remain tender on the inside.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
More Great Middle Eastern-style Recipes:
- Tumeric Chicken with Sumac and Lime recipe
- Lebanese Lamb Kibbeh with a Spiced Yogurt Sauce
- Persian Style Chicken Soup