This roasted okra with tomatoes is an excellent way to enjoy the vegetable. It's easy, too. With only 3 ingredients plus salt and pepper, the okra and tomatoes are the stars of the dish.
The winning combination of sliced okra and tomatoes makes a delicious side dish for any meal. In this recipe, the okra is sliced, combined with tomatoes, then roasted to perfection with a little olive oil and seasonings.
Okra often gets a bad rap because of its texture. Roasting the okra offers an added bonus -- the okra didn't have that "slimy" texture. So if you like the taste of okra but are put off by the texture, try this method.
- 8 ounces okra, about 20 to 24 pods (1 to 1 1/2 cups sliced)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with a little olive oil or line the pan with foil.
- Trim the okra, discarding the stem ends and tips. Slice the okra pods into 1/2-inch rounds and put them in a bowl.
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half (lengthwise or crosswise) or slice in 3 or 4 pieces if large. Put them in the bowl with the okra.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the okra and tomato mixture and season with the salt and pepper. Toss to coat well.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges, turning occasionally.
- When shopping for okra, choose bright pods free of blemishes. Avoid larger pods. Smaller pods — 4 inches or under — are best.
- Add one small onion cut in slices to the okra and tomatoes. Toss with the oil and proceed with the recipe.
You Might Also Like