These roasted potatoes are cooked with ham, onion, and seasonings, for a fabulous one-dish everyday meal.
Browned sliced potatoes and cubes of ham are combined in this delicious dish. The ingredients are first browned, then they're combined in a baking dish and roasted to perfection. I like this dish with onions, but you can certainly make it without the onions.This is a hearty, earthy dish, an excellent choice for breakfast, brunch, or supper, and it's a nice way to use leftover ham.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, canola oil, lard, or duck fat
- 2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds *
- 12 to 16 ounces ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes **
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt or heat 3 tablespoons of fat in a large, heavy iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato slices and cook, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned and are partially cooked. Remove them to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the ham and onion to the skillet and continue cooking, stirring, until the onions are translucent and lightly browned and the ham begins to develop a browned crust in places. If necessary, add another tablespoon of fat to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease or oil a large baking dish or pan, about 2 1/2 to 3-quart capacity.
- Transfer the ham and onion mixture to the bowl with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped parsley, kosher salt, and pepper, and toss gently to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a large lightly greased baking dish or pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and nicely browned.
*I used red skinned potatoes, unpeeled. Russet potatoes or Yukon gold would work as well, peeled or unpeeled.
**Use leftover cubed ham or a cubed center-cut ham slice to make this dish.
- For extra color and flavor, add about 1/2 cup of red or green bell pepper to the skillet along with the garlic.
- Add one or two thinly sliced carrots to the skillet with the potatoes.
- Omit the ham and use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of leftover cubed roast pork or beef in the recipe. Add it to the skillet along with the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
You Might Also Like