The color of these purple potatoes makes this a unique and attractive side dish, and the cilantro and garlic add a delicious combination of flavors.
There are several varieties of purple potatoes, including the Peruvian, Purple Fiesta, Purple Majesty, and others. The purple potato originated in the mountains of Peru and Bolivia.
Like other varieties, purple potatoes are high in potassium, and they are similar to the Russet potato in calories, protein, and carbs. What sets purple potatoes apart from the others (besides their gorgeous color) is their antioxidant content. They contain about four times the antioxidants when compared to Russet potatoes. The antioxidants make the potassium even more effective for lowering blood pressure, and antioxidants may help prevent some heart diseases and strengthen the immune system.
Because purple potatoes are medium starch, they are versatile and can be used in just about any recipe calling for potatoes. Scrub the potatoes but leave the skin on for the extra nutrients.
Serve these unique roasted potatoes with grilled or broiled meat, chicken, or fish. See the tips and variations for some additional flavors and substitution ideas.
Related Recipe: Festive Purple Potato Salad With Cilantro
- 2 1/2 pounds purple potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh leaf thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
Heat oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas 6). Brush a large rimmed baking pan or roasting pan with olive oil or spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Scrub the potatoes well and peel, if desired. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Toss them in a bowl with the minced garlic, fresh chopped cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in the prepared pan.
Roast the potatoes, turning occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and tender.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Roasted Red, White, and Purple Potatoes - Combine equal amounts of red potatoes, white or gold potatoes, and purple potatoes to make about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. Scrub the red potatoes but leave the skins on for color, if possible. Proceed with the recipe.
- Root Vegetable Roast With Purple Potatoes - Use 1 pound of purple potatoes, 1/2 pound of white or red-skinned potatoes, 2 small peeled and cut-up turnips, and 1/2 to 1 cup of baby carrots. Add 1 onion, cut in wedges, and use fresh chopped parsley instead of cilantro.
- Roasted Purple Potatoes With Parsley and Rosemary - Replace the cilantro with 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley and replace the thyme with 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped rosemary or about 1/2 teaspoon of crumbled dried rosemary.
You Might Also Like