This is an easy and flavorful recipe for oven roasted potatoes topped with rosemary (fresh is best!) and garlic with salt, olive oil, and pepper. If you can turn on the oven, you can make this simple roasted potato recipe! Be sure to use either sea salt or kosher salt instead of regular table salt, to enhance the naturally flavorful potatoes and rosemary.
As for the potatoes, just about any kind will do. Red new potatoes look nice and you don't need to peel the skin. Avoid something sweeter, like yukon gold. Any kind of baby potatoes or fingerling potatoes will work just fine. And of course, the real beauty of this recipe is that you can use it with just plain old russet potatoes or whatever is on sale for a super cheap side dish perfect for vegetarian or vegan families on a budget.
Roasted potatoes with rosemary are an easy and inexpensive side dish for vegetarians and vegans and suitable for those on a gluten-free diet, since all of the ingredients are gluten-free. It's the perfect allergy-safe and vegan side dish for Thanksgiving, or as part of your vegetarian Thanksgiving menu.
Got leftovers? Here's what to do with leftover potatoes.
- 4-6 large potatoes, chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp rosemary (fresh is best)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced OR 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- First, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the chopped potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, gently toss together to evenly coat the potatoes with olive oil.
- Next, sprinkle the salt, pepper, rosemary and the minced garlic or garlic powder and toss it all together again to evenly distribute the ingredients and lightly coat the potatoes.
- Note: If you're using dried rosemary, you'll want to use less; about one to one and a half teaspoons.
- Place potatoes on a baking pan, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and gently toss, turning the potatoes over as needed. Bake for another 25 minutes or until potatoes are done roasting. Enjoy your rosemary potatoes!
More ways to make oven roasted potatoes: If you like the earthy flavor combination of potatoes and rosemary together, try this recipe for mashed potatoes with rosemary or this simple recipe for oven roasted potatoes with rosemary, thyme and fresh sage. Or, for another simple potato recipe, try this recipe for oven roasted baby potatoes topped with fresh chopped parsley. Want something a little bit different? Scrap the potatoes all together, and roast some sunchokes in the oven instead!