Spend a leisurely three days driving along the 150-mile twisting path of the Roller Coaster Yard Sale. The annual event, started in 1986 to promote the Cordell Hull Highway, takes place each fall in Kentucky and Tennessee. In addition to scoring plenty of bargains, you’ll enjoy the breathtaking fall foliage of the Highland Rim and Cumberland Mountains.
The Roller Coaster Yard Sale Route
Start the Roller Coaster Yard Sale in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky.
Head south on Highway 63, a Kentucky Scenic Byway. Loop through Tennessee on Highways 52 and 111. Travel Highway 90 back up to Glasgow, Kentucky. In all, the route covers 150 miles and 19 cities participate in the sale.
Dates and Times
The Roller Coaster Yard Sale runs from Thursday through Saturday, the first full weekend of October.
- 2017 confirmed dates: October 5, 6 and 7
- 2018 confirmed dates: October 4, 5 and 6
The times vary and are set by the individual vendors.
Along the Way
As you travel between towns, eat lunch on the road. In addition to the usual concessions, you'll find plenty of southern home cooking and BBQ.
Plan to stop at the numerous flea markets, antique and craft stores, and produce stands along the yard sale route.
Plenty of areas of interest line the Roller Coaster Yard Sale route.
With more than 150 miles of yard sales, it is impossible to list everything you might find for sale.
However, expect to see:
- Antiques and collectibles of all kinds
- Estate jewelry
- Vintage Clothing
- Antique and vintage furniture
- Antique silver
- Porcelain, pottery and glass
- Antique carpets and rugs
- Fine artwork
- Leather-bound books
- Antique lighting
- Garden plants, pots and furniture
- Vintage housewares and home accessories
- Fresh in-season produce
- Holiday decorations
Roller Coaster Yard Sale Tips
- Before you leave on your trip, check out the Top 10 Yard Sale Shopping Tips.
- As you drive through towns, look for signs pointing to side-street sales.
- Take plenty of cash. The Roller Coaster Yard Sale runs along a fairly rural path, and you don't want to rush back to the last town for an ATM if you find a steal in the middle of nowhere.
People and businesses that are interested in being a vendor at the Roller Coaster Yard Sale should contact the specific country in which they are located. Contact information is available on the website.
For More Information on the Roller Coaster Yard Sale
- Visit the Roller Coaster Yard Sale website.
- Download the Roller Coaster Yard Sale Brochure (updated mid-summer each year) for a map of the route and the location of restrooms
- View the photo gallery from previous years