Eggnog is always a hit around the holidays and there are too many recipes out there to count. Two of those that feature rum are included below and one is admittedly easier than the other though both are delicious.
Rum Holiday Eggnog Recipe
This first eggnog recipe features Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. It uses both egg whites and yolks to create a slightly more intense variation on this easy Brandy Eggnog.
This will make single drinks and can be adapted to fit a small crowd if you don't want to drink alone. The nice part about this smaller recipe is that you can try it out before deciding to move up to a big batch.
This recipe is worth the extra effort and the almond extract is an excellent addition, making this cocktail a delightful yuletide libation.
- Separate the egg into two bowls.
- Beat the yolk until stiff.
- Beat the white with 1 teaspoon sugar until peaks form.
- Slowly fold the white and yolk together.
- Separately, beat the cream with the almond, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a bowl until stiff.
- SLOWLY fold in the cream with the egg mixture.
- Add the rum and stir gently.
- Refrigerate overnight, or serve immediately over ice in a punch glass or martini glass.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg and cinnamon.
(Recipe from Mount Gay Eclipse Rum)
Easier Than Eggnog Cocktail Recipe
Considerably easier than the first recipe, all you need is a cocktail shaker to create this eggnog.
It was created by Charles Joly of The Drawing Room in Chicago and features DonQ Anejo Rum, which is a great indulgence for this time of year. Add to that ruby port, some syrup, an egg and you have a well-designed, super-easy glass of eggnog.
(Recipe from Charles Joly of The Drawing Room in Chicago for DonQ Rum)
How Strong are These Eggnog Recipes?
Eggnog has a reputation for creating (sometimes funny) drunks at holiday parties, but it's not the eggnog's fault! Most eggnog is relatively light in comparison to drinks like the Classic Martini that can be upwards of 62 proof.
No, most of the time, it is your co-worker's or brother-in-law's fault for having a little too much nog that night!
- Rum Holiday Eggnog - 14% ABV (28 proof)
- Easier Than Eggnog - 17% ABV (36 proof)