This recipe for Russian herring under a fur coat salad, known as shuba or seledka pod shuboĭ (cеледка под шубой), is a traditional layered salad made of finely chopped pickled herring, eggs, beets, carrots, potatoes and some type of dressing, either mayonnaise or a sour cream base.
Make sure to prepare this salad at least 6 hours in advance so it can be chilled properly and sliced to show off the layers. This pretty salad can be a meat-free meal, side dish or served on a buffet table with other salads.
The recipes vary from cook to cook. See how it got its name, below, after the recipe directions.
- 3 large potatoes boiled in their jackets, cooled, peeled and finely chopped or shredded
- 4 large unpeeled carrots, boiled, cooled, peeled and finely chopped or shredded
- 3 large beets boiled in their skins, cooled, peeled and finely chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 medium or large (depending on taste) red or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 fillets of pickled herring in oil, finely chopped
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- In the same large saucepan, boil 3 large potatoes in their jackets, 4 large unpeeled carrots, and 3 large beets until tender. The carrots will take about 15 to 20 minutes, the potatoes will take about 40 minutes and the beets will take 1 hour or more. Just remove the vegetables that become tender (but not mushy) and continue cooking the rest.
- Peel while still warm (it's easier), cool completely and shred the carrots and beets and finely chop the potatoes.
- Place a ring mold or the ring from a springform pan on a pretty serving platter. This also can be assembled free form in a round or oval shape or in a 13x9-inch pan.
- First place the entire portion of chopped potatoes on the bottom, patting into an even layer. Then spread 1/3 of the mayonnaise on top to completely cover the potatoes.
- Next, place 1/2 of the beets, then 1/2 of the carrots and 1/2 of the finely chopped onion, all of the chopped pickled herring, and 1/3 of the mayonnaise.
- Then layer the remainder of the onion and carrots, all of the chopped eggs and black pepper to taste, the remainder of the mayonnaise and the remainder of the beets and pack down. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
- Some people finish their shubas with the chopped eggs on top. It's your choice! It's a beautiful salad when sliced and served. Garnish with parsley or dill.
How Herring Under Fur Coat Got Its Name
The recipe gets its fur coat (shuba) moniker from the beet layer that completely covers the salad. Some cover theirs in mayonnaise dressing so it looks like a white fur coat.