Sambousek is a small meat pie, served as an appetizer or snack. It is usually filled with ground beef or lamb but can be filled with feta and other cheeses. Use your imagination! It is served in small amounts, usually 3 to a plate.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + warm water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teapsoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- oil for frying
- Sprinkle yeast over water in measuring cup - Allow to dissolve and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl - Slowly stir in yeast water.
- Mix dough with hands or wood spoon.
- Add oil, and coat the dough, continuing to mix until dough is elastic.
- Cut dough into small pieces (about 10-12) cover, and allow to sit for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Saute the onions in olive oil, adding pepper and cumin in a frying pan.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Stir to ensure the meat and onions are well mixed.
- Allow to cool.
- Roll out small pieces of dough into the desired shape, about 1/16 inch thin. You can do circles, triangles, squares, or crescents.
- Place 1 tablespoon of meat filling, seal, and crimp edges to seal.
- Fry until golden brown on each side - about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel and serve.