You wouldn't associate sandwiches with Indian cuisine, would you? Believe it or not, they are not only popular but there are plenty of exciting combinations to try! With fillings ranging from chutneys to pickles and healthy veggies to paneer (cottage cheese), they leave you satisfied both in the taste and nutrition departments.
A sandwich is a great meal to substitute healthy ingredients in, giving you the ability to control fat and calorie content, as well as basic nutritional requirements.... Don't like an ingredient? Swap it out or add something else. You can try new combinations and get acquainted with popular flavors in the Indian cooking palette.
More Indian Sandwich Recipes to Try
Some other popular Indian sandwiches include:
- Spicy Chickpea Patty Sandwiches: Potatoes, chickpeas and spices combine into a textured chickpea patty, which is then set on a roll and served with a tangy yogurt dressing.
- Vegetable Frankie: Frankies are a popular Indian sandwich and feature a Kathi roll, or wrap.
- Pav Vada: This is a spicy potato mixture served on a soft bun type of bread. Vada is a spicy potato mixture coated with gram flour batter and deep fried. This is a very popular dish for people in Mumbai, it’s often sold by road side vendors.
- Raw Banana and Yam Sandwich: If you like potato vada, try combining raw banana and elephant foot yam (suran) into a sandwich that is low on fat. The banana and saran are boiled with other spices such as turmeric, coriander, mustard seed, and asafoetida. Then they are mashed and fried into patties before being put on bread.
- Grilled Potato Sandwich: These incorporate potatoes and cheese into a grilled sandwich that is served warm.
01 of 05
The mint chutney veggie sandwich is the legendary Bombay Sandwich! It is a great snack to pack because it keeps well and tastes great.
02 of 05
Not only is chicken tikka delicious the day you make it, if you're lucky to have some left over, you can make it into a tasty sandwich to enjoy the day after. The mint-coriander chutney has bold flavors that include mint, garlic, green chilis, coriander and lime.
03 of 05
A great vegetarian sandwich option, paneer is an ingredient similar to cottage cheese.
04 of 05
This meal is a cross between a sandwich and bhajias (gram flour fritters). Serve it with Tamarind or Mint-Coriander Chutney for a flavorful masterpiece.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
The perfect yummy, tangy midday snack or meal, this sandwich combines two flavors you may never have tried before -- and it may be a new favorite after you try it. The mango pickle mix includes green mangoes, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, fenugreek seeds and other bold spices.