- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 pounds cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, such as andouille, kielbasa, or chicken apple sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, or to taste, optional
Heat oven to 425 F.
- In a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onion and sliced sausages in vegetable oil until onion is golden and sausage is lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the apples and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper.
- Add caraway seeds, if using.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Serve with crusty rolls or biscuits and a tossed salad.
Serves 8 to 10.
Paula's Smoked Sausage Stew