These easy slow cooker barbecue sausages are flavored with a simple homemade barbecue sauce along with chunks of onions and optional peppers. I added chunks of pineapple from a 9-ounce can to give it some sweet-sour flavor.
Serve the sausages hot from the slow cooker as an appetizer with toothpicks, plates, and napkins provided for your guests. Or serve them as an entree with rice and steamed green beans or broccoli.
I used andouille sausages in the pictured dish, but kielbasa, cooked Italian sausages, or another type of smoked or fully cooked sausage may be used. Or use little smoked sausages, hot dog chunks, or cocktail wieners in the dish.
- 1 to 2 pounds fully cooked smoked sausage (chicken-apple sausage, andouille, kielbasa, cocktail wieners, etc.)
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks or sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into squares, optional
- For the Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared regular or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Cut the sausage into 1-inch to 2-inch lengths and transfer them to the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the onion chunks and pepper squares, if using.
Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, garlic powder, and melted butter. Pour the mixture over the sausage and vegetables.
Stir to coat all of the sausage pieces.
Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
The recipe may be doubled.
Tips and Variations
- Add some heat with about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Add some pineapple chunks to the sausage and onion mixture.
You Might Also Like