Easy baked split biscuits make the base for this flavorful sausage and egg breakfast casserole.
You may use homemade biscuits in the recipe as well. These Southern buttermilk biscuits would be perfect. Use a Mexican style blend of cheeses in this recipe, or a combination of Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack.
The casserole is made with Southwest seasonings, but it can be easily adjusted to make a basic breakfast casserole. Just replace the mild green chile peppers with chopped bell pepper,omit the cumin, chili powder, and oregano or replace it with a salt-free seasoning blend, and top it with cheddar cheese.
Take a look at the tips and variations for some substitutions and ideas for additional ingredients.
- 8 frozen or refrigerated biscuits, baked according to package directions
- butter, for the biscuits
- 1 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage (homemade pork sausage)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chile
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style blend of cheeses, such as cheddar jack or a similar combination
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 350 F.
Butter a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
Split the biscuits and butter them lightly. Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the split biscuits, cut-side up.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and onions to the skillet and cook, breaking up the sausage as it browns. Add the chile peppers and seasonings. Sprinkle the sausage mixture evenly over the split biscuit layer and then top with the shredded cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk with salt and pepper. Pour over the cheese layer.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until set. A knife should come out clean when inserted into the center of the breakfast casserole.
Serves 6 to 8.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the pork sausage with turkey sausage.
- Instead of sausage, sprinkle about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of diced ham over the biscuits.
- Replace the sausage with 8 to 12 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled.
- Instead of biscuits, line the bottom of the baking dish with halved croissants, cubed good quality bread (brioche, challah, Italian), or lightly toasted English muffins.
- Use shredded sharp cheddar cheese or smoked cheddar instead of the Mexican blend.