This is a flavorful rice casserole with sausage and slivered almonds. I used bulk fresh chorizo in the casserole pictured, but a regular or spicy breakfast sausage, turkey sausage, or Italian sausage could be used as well.
Just add cornbread or biscuits and a salad for a delicious, satisfying family dinner.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat, cook the sausage, stirring, until browned. Remove the sausage to drain, leaving about 3 tablespoons of fat in the pan.
- Cook the celery, green pepper, and onion in the remaining sausage fat until onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Spoon the browned sausage, vegetables, and almonds into a 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish.
- Add rice and the chicken broth; mix well.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until liquid is completely absorbed and the rice is tender.
*If using homemade broth or stock, taste the dish and add salt, as needed.
You Might Also Like