A recipe for sausage bread, pizza dough stuffed with sausage, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese, then baked.
This makes an excellent game day snack. Divide the dough for 2 to 4 smaller calzones.
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pizza sauce or tomato sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon Melted butter
Heat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas 6).
Prepare pizza dough. Use frozen, thawed dough, a bread machine recipe, or other.
Shape the dough into a rectangle about 8- x 12-inches.
Top the center of the dough with the sausage mixture and cheeses.
Drizzle with pizza sauce or tomato sauce, if desired.
Fold the sides of dough over the topping, overlapping. Enclose the ends; brush with melted butter.
Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet or baking dish for about 20 minutes, or until browned.
Cool slightly on a rack then cut into 1-inch slices.
You Might Also Like