These simple and easy stove-top sauteed sweet potatoes with garlic are a savory and salty (and vegan!) healthier (but equally delicious!) alternative to traditional oil-fried french fries or sweet potato fries, and make for a great side dish to accompany any veggie burger or sandwich for lunch or for a quick and simple dinner side dish.
These sweet potatoes are a delicious vegetarian recipe to serve as a side dish with nearly any dinner. They are perfect just as they are with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder for seasoning, or, you can try adding a bit of ginger or curry powder to the recipe for a spicy little twist. Or, use your own favorite store-bought seasoning blend, if you prefer. Also, like most cooks, I always recommend cooking and seasoning your food with sea salt or kosher salt for a much better taste than traditional table salt.
Absolutely everybody I've ever cooked these sweet potatoes for loves them and asks for the recipe. They just can't believe that the natural flavors of the sweet potatoes couples with a bit of salt, garlic powder and oilve oil are so good! Sweet potatoes really do need very little flavor enhancement, but, if you're not eating vegan, a little dab of good quality butter might be nice on top of these sauteed sweet potatoes, and, if you are eating vegan, try a vegan margarine or butter substitute for extra flavor.
These vegan sauteed sweet potatoes are just as yummy as sweet potato fries, yet they absorb less oil when sauteed on the stove top this way. Just be sure to slice up your sweet potatoes nice and thin and as evenly as possible, so they cook quickly and relatively evenly.
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free.
- 3 sweet potatoes or yams
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Ginger powder, to taste (optional)
- Curry powder, to taste (optional)
- Olive oil or another good quality cooking oil
- First, slice each of the sweet potatoes into coin-shaped round pieces, approximately 1/2 inch thick. For larger sweet potatoes, you may want to cut these coin shapes in half to make them closer to bite-sized pieces. Try to make sure all of your sweet potatoes are cut to the same width so that they cook relatively evenly.
- Once your sweet potatoes are cut and ready to go, heat a thin layer of olive oil or another good quality cooking oil in a large skillet, frying pan or cast iron skillet and place a single layer of sweet potato coin slices in the oil. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic, and the optional curry and ginger if desired.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cook until slightly soft, about 3-5 minutes, then flip, sprinkling the other side with salt, pepper, garlic and spices. Continue cooking your sweet potato slices, adding more oil as needed.
Keep your sweet potatoes warm in the oven on low temperature until ready to serve if you're not enjoying them right away.