These muffins are a delicious, moist combination of cheese and lightly browned onions. Use a purchased or homemade biscuit baking mix for this recipe. The tasty butter and poppy seed topping is optional, but it is a nice touch.
This recipe makes about 6 large muffins, but can easily be scaled up to make a dozen or more.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onion until tender and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg and milk; add the biscuit mix and stir until just moistened. Fold in the browned onion and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Scoop the batter into 6 to 8 greased muffin cups (or spray with baking spray). The cups should be about two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining shredded cheese and poppy seeds, if using. Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the muffin tops.
- Bake the muffins for about 16 to18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.