These tasty savory little zucchini pancakes are made with fresh shredded zucchini and Parmesan cheese, along with some fresh or dried basil for extra flavor.
Plan to let the shredded zucchini drain for an hour or two to remove as much moisture as possible.
This is a nice way to prepare zucchini, and it's a nice change from zucchini bread and muffins.
- 3 medium zucchini, shredded, about 3 cups shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup good quality grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil or about 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put the shredded zucchini in a colander and mix with the salt. Cover and let drain for about 1 hour. Refrigerate if draining for a longer period of time.
In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded zucchini with the beaten eggs, cheese, basil, flour, and pepper.
Heat a few teaspoons of butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spoon a few tablespoons of the zucchini batter into the skillet for each pancake and cook until browned on the bottom.
Turn and cook until browned on the other side.
Serve as an appetizer with salsa, a savory dip, or chili sauce. Or serve the zucchini pancakes as a side dish with grilled meat or poultry.
Makes 8 to 12 pancakes, depending on size.
Tips and Variations
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of grated onions to the mixture along with the zucchini.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely minced green onion to the batter.
You Might Also Like