This easy scalloped corn casserole is made with fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
Use a colorful green and red bell pepper mix in this delicious scalloped corn casserole. It takes just minutes to prepare and makes a fabulous dish for a family meal or holiday dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups cooked corn kernels (use canned, fresh, or frozen)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped, or a combination of red and green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup soft fresh bread crumbs tossed with 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in flour. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Gradually stir in milk and continue cooking over low heat stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add a small amount of the sauce to the beaten egg, stirring briskly. Stir egg mixture back into the sauce in the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Do not boil.
- Add the corn, green pepper, and sugar to the sauce mixture. Heat through.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole. Cover with the buttered bread crumbs and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and bread crumbs are browned.
You Might Also Like