These cheesy scalloped potatoes are made with a simple cheese sauce and breadcrumb topping—the perfect side dish for a dinner party or weekday dinner on a cold winter's night. The potatoes are briefly cooked before they are baked—if you cut the potatoes into slices or small dice you will speed up the cooking process.
This recipe is seasoned with onion and dry mustard, which complement the Cheddar cheese nicely. The breadcrumb topping creates a lovely golden crust, adding nice color and texture to the dish.
- 4 cups diced or sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese, mild or sharp, divided
- 1/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F and lightly butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Add this mixture to the butter and onion, stirring until smooth. Place it back over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Continue cooking slowly, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Put potatoes in the prepared baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the potatoes and then top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Other Creamy Potato Recipes
Nothing is more satisfying than a creamy potato dish on a cold evening, perfect with meat or chicken and a roasted vegetable. If you are looking for a comforting potato side dish, try Cheddar and green onion mashed potatoes, creamy scalloped potatoes with ham, or scalloped potatoes with bacon. If a casserole is what you have in mind, potato casserole with andouille sausage or extra special holiday potato casserole are both satisfying options.