Scalloped potatoes have long been an American family favorite. The basic baked dish combines a creamy seasoned sauce with sliced potatoes.
These potatoes are flavored with diced ham and cheddar cheese (optional). The dish can be served as an all-in-one casserole main dish with biscuits or rolls and a simple tossed salad. This broccoli salad would be an excellent side dish to serve with the potatoes.
It's also an excellent side dish casserole to serve with a holiday meal or everyday family dinner. For extra color, add a few sliced green onions or 2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley or chives. Or sprinkle some ground paprika over the top of the casserole before it goes into the oven.
This version is made with a quick condensed soup sauce, which makes preparation a breeze. If you like to avoid condensed soups and prefer a homemade sauce, prepare 2 cups of medium white sauce and omit the condensed soup and 1/4 cup of milk. Add the 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the white sauce if you'd like.
For some crunchy texture, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of buttered breadcrumbs to the top of the casserole about 30 minutes before it's done.
Make the scalloped potatoes for a family meal or take them along to a potluck dinner. This is an excellent choice for a holiday dinner, with or without the diced ham.
- 1 pound fully cooked ham (or leftover ham)
- 5 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional: 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut the ham into bite-size 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place half of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with the diced ham and then top with the remaining potatoes.
- In a bowl, combine the condensed soup with milk, onion, green bell pepper, and a dash of pepper; pour over potatoes. Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove covering and bake for 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until potatoes are done, and the top is browned.
- If desired, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top of scalloped potatoes the last 15 minutes of baking time.
For a shortened baking time and more uniform cooking, put the sliced potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and time them for 1 minute. Remove the potatoes and drain them thoroughly. Layer them in the baking dish following the recipe instructions.