01 of 04
How to Make School Girl's Puzzle Quilt Blocks
Try the School Girl's Puzzle quilt block pattern to create quilt blocks that can be twisted and turned to design a unique layout. Four blocks are illustrated, showing just one of the ways blocks can be sewn together.
School Girl's Puzzle is a traditional patchwork quilt block that changes dramatically when you alter the placement of color and color value within its patches.
Refer to pages 3 and 4 for examples of two School Girl's Puzzle quilt layouts, one with straight set blocks and another... with quilt blocks set on point.
The quilt block is made up of squares and triangles, and most triangles are sewn together using a quick piecing method.
Finished quilt block: 12" x 12"
Quilting Fabrics and Cutting Instructions
- (1) 6-7/8" x 6-7/8" square cut in half once diagonally
- (1) 3-7/8" x 3-7/8" square
- (4) 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" squares
- (2) 3-7/8" x 3-7/8" squares
Continue to 2 of 4 below.
- (5) 3-7/8" x 3-7/8" squares — cut two of the squares in half once diagonally
02 of 04
How to Sew School Girl's Puzzle Quilt Blocks
If you plan to sew a quilt from many identical blocks, you might prefer to use a different method for half square triangle units, such as sewing them on a grid or using the Magic 8 technique. Units must finish at 3" x 3" (or measure 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" after assembly).
- Pair a 3-7/8" gray square with a green square of the same size. Use a quick piecing method to make half square triangle units. Each of the two resulting units will be half gray and half green, and should measure 3-1/2" x... 3-1/2".
- Arrange two gray triangles cut by dividing a 3-7/8" square in half diagonally as shown in the upper left of the illustration, sewing them to sides of the Step 1 unit. Press seam allowances towards the triangles.
- Sew a large green triangle to the unit you just created as shown. Press seam allowance towards the green triangle. Repeat to make another identical unit.
- Pair a 3-7/8" gray square with a black print square of the same size. Use the sandwich method to make two half square triangle units that measure 3-1/2" x 3-1/2".
- Repeat to make two more gray/black print half square triangle units.
- Sew a gold square to the side of a gray/black triangle square unit as illustrated, middle left. Press seam allowance towards the square. Repeat to make another rectangular unit as shown.
- Sew the units together as illustrated. Repeat to make a second identical unit. Press seam allowances either way.
- Sew a green/gray unit to a gold/black/gray unit as shown to create one row for the quilt. Press seam allowances towards the large triangle. Repeat to make another identical row.
- Flip one row around as illustrated and join rows. Press. The quilt block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2".
Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
04 of 04
School Girl's Puzzle Quilt Blocks in a Straight Setting
These School Girl's Puzzle quilt blocks are arranged in a straight setting — sewn side by side with their edges running horizontally and vertically.