Gelato is the Italian form of ice cream. Typically it is denser than the American version. Sea salt is a wonderful complement to caramel and adds a very delicate salt flavor in this recipe.
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 egg yolks
- 5 ounces sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel
- Heat cream with salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar together to a pale yellow.
- Slowly add hot cream to the yolks while whisking, do not curdle the egg yolks.
- Return mixture back to the heat.
- Cook on low temp until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Chill, add the caramel.
- Freeze in ice cream batch freezer for 3-5 minutes or until the gelato reaches the desired consistency.
Courtesy of Proof on Main restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky.
More Delicious Ice Cream Recipes: