Is your asphalt driveway cracked, faded, stained, or otherwise not complementing the beauty of your home? Close up those cracks and recoat it for a nice, fresh, black "just like new" appearance again.
What This Is
Minor do-it-yourself asphalt driveway patching and sealing. This is a "cold method" in which a non-heated asphalt mix is used to fill holes, liquid sealer fills cracks, and an overall sealant covers the entire driveway.
What This Is NOT
Hot-tar asphalt installed by a professional company, a far more involved and costly process in which several layers of heated tar are laid down and then pressed smooth with a roller.
What It Will Look Like
New and black, especially from a distance. Up close and at certain angles, the crack and hole patches will be visible below the sealant. The sealant itself will have a slightly shiny appearance.
Who Can Do It
Anyone who can lift 50 pounds and is in reasonably good shape.
How To Do It
- Remove Debris: By hand, remove weeds, rocks, dirt, and other obstructions from cracks in the asphalt. Use a screwdriver or trowel.
- Clean Oil Spots: Clean oil off of driveway with the oil cleaner if you have stubborn stains.
- Clean Surface: Apply the asphalt cleaner, then thoroughly pressure-wash the surface. Wait until driveway is completely dry.
- Fill Large Holes: If you have large holes that need filling, use Road Rescue Asphalt Patch, QPR 50 Lb. High Performance Pavement Patch, or similar product.
- Seal Cracks: Apply the asphalt crack sealer.
- Apply Sealant 1: Seal driveway by using squeegee to spread asphalt sealer in series of passes parallel to the house. Let dry according to product instructions.
- Apply Sealant 2: Now, seal driveway by using squeegee to spread asphalt sealer in series of passes perpendicular to the house. Let dry according to product instructions.
Materials and Tools
- Pressure washer (this can be rented at most rental yards)
- Asphalt cleaner, such as Latex-ite Driveway Cleaner/Degreaser Powerwash
- Oil cleaner, for stubborn stains (optional)
- Wire brushes
- Asphalt crack filler (if you have cracks)
- Cold asphalt patch (Buy on Amazon - Road Rescue Asphalt Patch)
- Driveway sealant (Buy on Amazon - Rust-oleum Epoxy Blacktop Coating)
- Stiff broom
- Old screwdriver
- Asphalt driveway sealing will not cure ripples and bumps. Driveway sealing means putting down a thin layer of liquid sealant. It is different from asphalt paving.
- When pressure-washing, make sure that all water is moved off and away from the surface. Otherwise, the junk will remain on the driveway--just distributed in different places!
- You can use either crack filler that says "hot applied," like Pli-Stix (requiring the use of a torch) or a product that applies cold, such as Latex-ite Premium Blacktop Crack Filler. Hot-applied crack filler tends to have a longer lifespan but can be more difficult to apply correctly.
- The trick to achieving a smooth finish free of brush strokes is to use the checkerboard technique described above. First, strokes parallel to house. Second, strokes perpendicular to house. Checkerboard just describes the process; the resulting finish will not have a checkerboard pattern if done correctly.