These baked French fries are made with a little olive oil or canola, then they're seasoned with a spicy Cajun-style seasoning or your favorite blend of seasoned salt.
Bake the oven "fries" until they're tender and crisp on the outside. I used Cajun seasoning on these fries, but plain salt or sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper are excellent as well. If your Cajun or Creole seasoning is salt-free, sprinkle the fries with salt.
If you slice your potatoes into wide fries, allow more baking time. Starchy potatoes — russets, or baking potatoes — are the best potatoes to use for French fries.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (russets
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun seasoning, or use your favorite seasoned salt blend
Heat oven to 450 F
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Peel potatoes, if desired, then slice lengthwise into thin slices (between 1/4 and 1/2inches thick). Slice the slices into 1/4- to 1/2-inch strips.
Drizzle a little olive oil over the bottom of the prepared baking sheet. Spread the oil around to coat the foil.
Dry potato strips and toss in a bowl with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss the potato strips with the seasonings, coating thoroughly.
Spread potato strips in a single layer in the prepared baking pan.
Bake for about 10 minutes. Stir and turn the potatoes and continue baking for 8 to 10 minutes longer. Turn again and bake for about 10 minutes longer, or until the fries are tender and browned.
Tips and Variations
- Omit the Cajun or Creole seasoning and sprinkle the potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Saute 1 or 2 cloves of finely minced garlic in a teaspoon or two of olive oil over medium heat just until softened. Toss with the fries as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan over the fries as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Omit the seasoning and sprinkle dry Italian dressing mix over the fries before baking.
- Nacho Fries: Chop 1 medium onion and 1 large bell pepper. Put them in a large skillet with 1/2 pound of ground beef. Cook until the beef is browned and the vegetables are tender. Drain well. When the fries come out of the oven, sprinkle with the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle the ground beef with 1 cup of shredded cheddar-jack cheese or plain cheddar. Top the cheese with some jalapeno pepper rings, if desired. Return the fries to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted. Garnish with fresh chopped tomatoes and green onions or salsa.
You Might Also Like