A simple DIY handmade Christmas card can be transformed by the inclusion of an appropriate sentiment or greeting. Picking great greetings is one of the quickest and easiest ways to personalize a card - perfect whether you are using similar shop bought cards or your own handmade creations.
There are many types of sentiment appropriate for holiday cards.
Free Printable Sentiments and Greetings
These free printable sayings and greetings are perfect for adding to your Christmas cards, simply print onto good quality paper, cut out and adhere to your card:
- Christmas is all wrapped up
- Let it snow
- A warm fire and the warm love of a family...
- Merry Christmas (tree shaped word art)
- Simple sentiments to print
Looking for more freebies to print? We have over 100 free digital stamps for you to download!
Christmas Sentiments From Songs
A great source of sentiments for festive cards are Christmas songs. You'll find some inspiration for greetings for all the family. Here are some ideas and you'll find many more online at a lyric site such as Metro Lyrics:
- 'Tis the season to be jolly. Tra la la la la, la la la la
- ... and so this is Christmas, what have we done? Another year over and a new one just begun
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas, let your heart be light. From now on our troubles will be out of sight
- Merry Christmas baby
- We wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
- Last Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you took it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special
- I'll be home for Christmas
Jokes for Christmas
Christmas quotations are a great way to find a few special words to complement a handmade card.
Quotations are a rich resource, with a seemingly endless supply of words for different occasions and are ideal for use during the holiday season. Christmas quotations extend from classic religious prayers and inspirational words, through to funny and irreverent quips or satirical one liners. This is an ideal way of customizing and adapting DIY Christmas greeting cards, customizing them to the recipient.
Quotations expert, Simran Khurana, has a wealth of great quotations on her site. There are quotations here for many occasions and rubber stampers will find plenty of interesting ideas and inspiration amongst her articles. Simran has listed some of her own favorites, as well as many other top Christmas quotations in these articles:
- Quotations suitable for Christmas Cards
- Funny Christmas Quotations
- Christmas Poems and Quotations
- Merry Christmas Quotations
Simran has also published some other great quotations that are suitable for use over the holiday season and these include:
- Funny New Year Quotations
- New Year Quotations for Friends
- Top 10 Friendship Quotations
- Funny Friendship Quotations
Remember when using quotations to always include the name, if it is known, of the originator.
Writing Sentiments in Cards
There are very few people who really like their own handwriting!
When writing a sentiment in a handmade card, however, it is important to remember that the recipient won't be judging the neatness of the handwriting. It is the thought and words that matter, not perfectly scripted writing.
Here are some tips to help make the most of even the most scrawly handwriting:
- Use a good quality pen! No handwriting will look good when written in a blotchy ball point pen. A pen that gives a smooth consistent flow will help to give a good finished effect.
- Write slowly and evenly. Some people rush their writing and this can result in uneven letters. A slow writing rhythm will help to produce neat letters.
- Write naturally! There are lovely fancy handwriting styles, from intricate script through to funky styles. Unless someone is keen on calligraphy, simply writing in your own natural style is likely to produce better results that trying something new in a card. If you want to try a new style, practice on scrap paper first.
A few hand written words will complement a hand stamped Christmas card and the recipient will be delighted to receive the card even if the handwriting isn't perfect!
Printing is a quick and easy way to produce sentiments to go inside handmade cards. This is a great opportunity to stylize the words, perhaps by finding an unusual font or printing in colors that match the inks and style of the rubber stamped image. The quotations can be used as an insert to the card or simply cut out and attached to the inside of the card. Make this blend into the overall design by drawing a border around the quote using a complementary colored pen. When printing a quotation, try to put several quotations onto a page to save on paper. See Printing Text to Use in Rubber Stamping Projects for more information about printing text to use in a handmade card.
Whether it's a simple 'Happy Christmas' or a more lengthy poem or quotation, finding the perfect sentiment will add the finishing touch to your card.
More Festive Rubber Stamping and Paper Crafts
- Christmas and Holidays Templates - Use these Christmas and festive themed templates to add to cards and other projects
- Christmas Card Templates for Rubber Stamping - Border templates for Christmas cards
- Christmas Rubber Stamping Ideas and Projects - Create your own unique Christmas cards and gifts this year using simple rubber stamping techniques!
- Clothes Pin Card Holder - Bling up your clothes pins to make an unusual card holder
- Festive Pinwheels - These festive pinwheels make unusual decorations and garlands
- Free Printable Gift Tags - Handmade gift tags are useful for adding a personal touch to festive gifts
- How to Make a Rubber Stamped Paper Chain - How to make paper chains for the holiday season
- How to Make an Exploding Box - This cute exploding box makes an unusual alternative to a standard gift box and is surprisingly simple to make!
- Ideas for Ornaments Created from Air Dry Clay and Rubber Stamps - Ideas for making ornaments from air dry clay and decorated with rubber stamps
- Ideas for Sentiments and Greetings for Christmas Cards - Sentiments and greetings for Christmas cards and other festive projects
- Make a Glass Jar Candle Holder With Vellum and Rubber Stamps - These candle holders are very effective and are simple to make using a glass jar, vellum and rubber stamps
- Make a Paper Globe Ornament - This effective ornament is easy to make and can be adapted in many ways
- Make a Small Cube Ornament - Pretty cube ornament for the festive season
- Make a Snowman Card - Make a three dimensional card embellishment for the festive season
- Ornament Projects and Ideas - Make handmade ornaments using these great ideas
- Quick and Easy DIY Handmade Christmas Card Projects
Simple rubber stamping techniques are all that are required to create great looking handmade Christmas cards
- Quick and Easy Small Card Ornament - Easy three dimensional card ornament.
- Rubber Stamped Wrapping Paper - Turn plain paper into attractive and customized wrapping paper with rubber stamps.
- Rubber Stamping Christmas Cards Ideas and Inspiration - Ideas and inspiration for rubber stamping Christmas cards