I always like checking out the Holiday Insights Page to find out what the wacky off-the-beaten path celebrations are each month. Sometimes they provide great inspiration for crochet. Here's the list for September.
Suicide Prevention Awareness
Before digging into other things, I wanted to highlight that the second week of September is National Suicide Prevention Week and September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day.
This is a topic close to my heart since Crochet Saved My Life. In June 2015, the world lost one of its great crochet designers, Marinke Slump, to suicide; the Mandalas for Marinke project has been created in her honor. Crocheting one of her mandala patterns and sharing it for suicide awareness is a great activity if this is a cause that you care about.
The Month of September
The month of September is known for several things including that it's National Blueberry Popsicle Month and International Square Dancing Month! Here are a few ways you might want to celebrate:
- Recognize Hispanic crochet designers because it is Hispanic Heritage Month. Each year Marie Segares of the blog Underground Crafter does a great series of interviews with Hispanic knitting and crochet designers in celebration of this!
- Crochet a free pattern inspired by music. September is National Piano Month and National Classical Music Month. Have a piano of your own? Yarnbomb it!
- It's Little League Month! Crochet something inspired by baseball.
- If you like to make crochet food then this month is the month to celebrate chicken, honey and "better breakfast".
- Make a cozy crochet hat. September is Fall Hat Month! Gone-ta-pott says: "The hot summer is over and the wearing of all those straw garden hats are over, so during Fall Hat Month (September), men and women are encouraged to put aside their straw hats and begin wearing felt or fabric hats that are seasonal for the fall." Kathryn Fulton's book, Vintage Crochet Hats and Accessories has some great pattern options.
- September is Self-Improvement Month. Have you tried meditative crochet?
Day by Day
For those of you who are on the food crochet kick, here are the days that celebrate foods in September:
- Cheese Pizza on September 5th
- Chocolate Milkshakes on September 12th
- Fortune Cookies and also Peanuts on September 13th
- Cream-Filled Donuts on September 14th
- Apple Dumpling on September 17th
- Cheeseburgers on September 18th
- Butterscotch Pudding on September 19th
- Cherries Jubilee on September 24th
But of course there is a lot more that you can crochet in September besides food! Here are some other daily celebrations to inspire your crafting:
- September 5th is Be Late For Something Day. Crochet for a little extra time before you leave the house!
- September 6th is Read a Book Day. Here is a list of the 20 Most-Readable Crochet Books.
- September 9th is Teddy Bear Day. Crochet one for yourself or someone else!
- September 10th is Sewing Machine Day. Make something that combines fabric + crochet such as a lined purse.
- September 13th is Grandparents' Day and also Pet Memorial Day. (Note that actually Grandparents Day is the first Sunday after Labor Day and Pet Memorial Day is the second Sunday of September. The date varies by year.)
- September 15th is Make a Hat Day. So make a crochet hat!
- September 16th is Collect Rocks Day. Go out and pick up some rocks and decorate them with crochet. Get inspired by this crochet stone art.
- September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
- September 20th (or the third Sunday in September) is National Women's Friendship Day and September 22nd is Business Women's Day so make some crochet items for the ladies in your life!
- September 22nd is also Elephant Appreciation Day. Make a cute little elephant!
- September 23rd is Checkers Day. Make a crochet checkerboard set.
- September 26th (or the fourth Saturday in September) is International Rabbit Day. Crochet a bunny.
And of course September is the beginning of autumn (or spring if you're on the other side of the world) so consider starting some new seasonal craft projects too!