This delicious salad almost always makes an appearance at our family gatherings and holiday dinners. It's a hearty and great-tasting salad, also nice for a potluck dinner.
The layers are topped with a lightly sweetened mayonnaise and the salad is tossed just before serving.
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 8 to 16 ounces bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
- Place 3 cups of the lettuce in bottom of a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer the hard-boiled egg slices over the lettuce in the bowl and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Continue to layer vegetables in this order: peas, remaining lettuce, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese, along with light sprinklings of salt and pepper.
- Combine mayonnaise and sugar; spread over top, spreading to edge of the bowl to cover entire salad.
- Cover and chill the salad overnight, or up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish the salad with green onions and a little paprika. Toss and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Diced cooked ham may be used to replace the bacon in the salad.
- Replace the second layer of lettuce (3 cups) with chopped spinach leaves or baby spinach leaves.
- Serve the salad with fresh tomato wedges.
You Might Also Like