01 of 08
This baby bib is the perfect solution to truly cover up those precious baby clothes and prevent stains. This towel bib even provides coverage on the shoulders so when B aby turns away, the clothes are still covered.
Remember shower and newborn gifts for Grandma's house while you are making the bibs!
- Hand towel or finger towel
- Hook and Loop Tape (Velcro)
- 10" by 2 1/2" of Ribbing - If ribbing is difficult to find watch ready-made clothing as a source. Winter ear/headbands are... found on clearance in big box stores for under a dollar and have become one of my favorite sources for ribbing in a variety of colors.
- Thread - How to Choose the Correct Color Sewing Thread to Match Your Sewing Fabric
- Optional: Add machine embroidery or applique to the bib to make it extra special. Make a bib for birthdays or holidays so there is always a great bib on hand. Embellishing the bibs with the days of the week is another popular option.
Note: Neck opening and ribbing may be adjusted to make an adult or older child bib. Free Patterns to Sew Adult size BibsContinue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Cutting the Towel
Continue to 3 of 8 below.
- Fold the longest part of the towel into thirds. Along one of the folds, fold the towel in half, to find the center of the first fold.
- Using a tape measure, measure in from the corner of the fold 1½" to form a quarter circle. Cut through all layers to cut a circle out of the towel.
03 of 08
Gently Press & Cut
Continue to 4 of 8 below.
- Gently Press the fold lines to mark quarters of the towel.
- On the one-third cut in on one side of the circle.
04 of 08
PrepareThe RibbingContinue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
Attach the RibbingContinue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
Cut the Hook and Loop Tape
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
- Measure the straight edge opening on the towel from the ribbing seam to the edge of the towel. Cut a piece of hook and loop tape (Velcro) to fit.
07 of 08
Attach the Loop Tape
Continue to 8 of 8 below.
- Placing the fuzzy side of the tape on the edge of the right side of the towel, with the ribbing seam allowance under the towel, zigzag the loop tape to the edge of the towel.
- Turn the fuzzy side up with the seam allowance under the towel and top stitch the loop tape in place so that it extends past the edge of the towel.
08 of 08
Attach the Hook Tape
- Lay the hook side of the hook and loop tape on the front edge of the towel opening, with the smooth side of the tape on the underside of the opening.
- Zigzag the neck edge of the hook tape to the towel with the ribbing seam allowance under the hook tape. Zigzag the tape at the raw edge of the towel.
- Use a straight stitch the attach the other two edges of the hook tape.