01 of 07
Needles and Thread
A hand sewing needle and thread can achieve some quick mending projects and can be utilized for hand sewing projects. Almost every home has hand sewing needles and some sort of thread in the house. Dollar stores usually have needles and thread.You do need to be aware of thread quality to avoid frustration with knotting and breaking thread. A needle threader is not a needed tool for hand sewing but if you are challenged at threading a needle, it's a tool you will want to have!
02 of 07
What tools do you need and what ones can you do without? This basic sewing kit will last you for a long time without breaking the bank. Learn about scissors... and why you want two pair...straight pins, pincushions, tape measures, marking tools, seam ripper and a gauge from this page that explains the details of a basic sewing kit.
03 of 07
Save Money on Sewing - Sewing Needs Without Paying Full Price and Possibly FreeThe first time you walk into a fabric store you may be shocked by the prices... what if I told you there are ways to get those items at 50% off or free? That's how I built up my massive supply of sewing equipment!
- Save Money Sewing Clothing and Other Textile Needs
- Indulge Your Sewing Passion and Save Money Doing it!
- Frugal Sewing Projects - Free Sewing Patterns and How-Tos
- Free Sewing Patterns and Projects For All of Your Sewing Needs!
- Sewing Tips -- Learn tricks to Save Time and Avoid... Frustration
04 of 07
No one wants to need to use a seam ripper but when you need to remove stitching, the seam ripper is the only tool you should use. Many people clip stitches with scissors but that is a risky process that can lead to cutting and ruining fabric. A seam ripper is an inexpensive sewing tool that everyone who sews needs to have!Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Before you invest in sewing scissors, learn about them and why you would need different kinds of scissors.
06 of 07
You can find very inexpensive thread but it will probably cause you more grief than pennies that you save! Educate yourself about thread before you go shopping for sewing thread.
- Is There a Difference in Thread? You be the Judge!
- How to Choose Sewing Thread Color
- Button and Carpet Thread? What Is It? Is it Just for Buttons and Carpet Sewing?
- Bobbin Thread - Bobbin Thread for Sewing
- Denim Thread - How to Repair Ripped Fabric and a Torn Belt Loop on Jeans
- Sewing Thread Information
- Superior Threads... Company-- About Superior Threads Sewing Thread and Product
07 of 07
A Sewing Machine
A sewing machine is usually the largest investment anyone makes in their sewing tools. When you start shopping for a sewing machine all of the different options, and price tags, can be over whelming! Become an educated consumer and leave your wallet at home the first time you go out shopping for a sewing machine to prevent an impulse buy that you might regret later!
- Sewing Machine Information - Sewing Machines 101
- Before You Operate a Sewing Machine
- Before You Buy a Sewing Machine -- A Guide to... Understand a Sewing Machine
- Sewing Machine Manuals - A Necessity for Every Sewing Machine
- How To Thread A Sewing Machine
- Sewing Machine Information and Buying Advice
- Recommended Sites to Buy a Sewing Machine Online With Customer Service
A new hobby can be expensive if you try to buy every possible piece of equipment that is sold for that hobby. How do you sort out what you really need instead of buying what you think you will need? No one needs every possible sewing tool to start sewing! Sewing has many different options. Read through and learn about essential sewing tools from this list and be an educated consumer when you go shopping. Don't forget to ask friends who already sew... they may have doubles that they are... willing to part with!