Sheppard Software is a website that is a virtual playground where kids and non-kids can learn and play at the same time. There is so much to do on the site that it seems like you'll never get to all of it.
The Sheppard Software website is a library of educational information and activities. It is broken out into nine broad categories that are fun, interactive, and, best of all, free. You and your family can enjoy hours of engaging learner-based content in a safe online environment.
Nine Categories on Sheppard Software
Sheppard Software has divided their site into nine easily discernible categories, which are:
- USA: Learn the states, capitals and geography of the U.S.
- World: Learn more about countries across the globe.
- Animals: Enjoy games and tutorials that teach kids about all kinds of animals.
- Language Arts: Brush up on grammar, parts of a sentence and capitalization.
- Health: Explore health and fitness, medical jargon and other health information.
- Science: Learn about seasons, cells, dinosaurs and much more!
- Math: Play games that exercise your child's math skills.
- Preschool: Identify shapes, numbers colors and letters of the alphabet.
- Brain: Test your brain power!
Each of these categories is filled with interactive games, tutorials and other brain-engaging activities that you and your child will enjoy.
The designers clearly know how to get the attention of a young learner, because the video and audio cues for each activity are great!
In the sections geared towards younger kids, a voice helps your child navigate as they move their mouse over the icons. My kids have no problem finding their favorite game on Sheppard Software.
What Age Groups Can Use Sheppard Software?
Sheppard Software has educational categories for preschool age kids all the way through college.
Although the cartoon-style animation would appear to be aimed at a younger crowd, I was engaged by the design, fun and ease of use of the site, and found myself wanting to brush up on geography or the U.S. Presidents.
No matter your age, you can find something that will grab your attention on Sheppard Software.
Is There an Ad-Free Version?
Yes! The ad-free version starts at just $36 per year for a family. That $36 allows unlimited logins for all members of one household. They also have discounted rates for classroom teachers and for entire schools to utilize the site.
As education and technology continue to evolve together, I can see Sheppard Software being utilized in classrooms all over the world.
Where Should I Start?
Five things you should try right now:
- Fruit Splat Subtraction is an awesome and fun game in which you're given a math problem, and you have to smash the fruit that contains the correct answer.
- USA States is an interactive map to help you or your child practice the placement of states in the US.
- Food Groups Game is a fun and educational game where the object is to drag and drop the food into its appropriate food group.
- Bouncing Balls JR asks you to shoot balls of matching color together to eliminate them.
- Battleship is a simple online version of the classic Battleship game.
On the Sheppard Software website there's something for your child to enjoy regardless of their age. Whether you're adding to a homeschool curriculum or supplementing their public education, Sheppard Software will help your kids with the foundational pieces of a good education.
As a parent, I love the fact that it's free and still high-quality. I highly recommend this website for any parent looking to boost their child's education.