This corn and green bean casserole feature shoepeg corn, but whole kernel corn may be substituted. It's a very easy side dish—perfect for a holiday menu or Sunday dinner. Condensed cream of celery soup is combined with sour cream to make the savory sauce. Crumbled Ritz cracker crumbs are tossed with butter for a delicious, crunchy topping.
We used a can of whole kernel corn in the casserole and French style green beans in the pictured casserole.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 can (12 oz.) shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (16 oz.) French-style green beans, drained
- 12 Ritz crackers, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Lightly butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté celery, onion, pepper in 2 tablespoons of butter until the celery is just tender.
- In a bowl, combine soup and sour cream; stir to blend thoroughly. Add the sauteed vegetable mixture, the corn, and green beans.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the Ritz cracker crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the corn casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the Ritz cracker crumbs with about 1 cup of soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Canned drained butter beans may be used to replace the green beans.